Saturday, May 17, 2008

What Happened During The Blackout

Something weird happened last night. A blackout just hit my neighbourhood and get this, only my neighborhood. The other neighbouring houses seem just fine. But life just seems to find a way to make itself interesting, doesn't it. Here's what happened:



Me: Mitosis is....



Bzzt....

Everything goes dark all of a sudden.



Me: Oh, shit. Not now. Not when I really have the mood to study.



So, I crept out of my room into the dark hallway outside. This is one of those times when I'm glad that my house is a single- storey house. No stairs to tumble down from. I took a torchlight from the kitchen drawer after some groping and went to my parents bedroom to check on them. Apparently, both of them are still awake and were watching TV when it happened. Wait, there's more to come...



Clang! Clang!



Me: Isn't that the padlock being rattled?



So, my dad took my torchlight and went outside to check what was the clanging all about.

For self- defense purposes, he held the torchlight up like a bat, ready to swing at the uninvited visitor. He turns the knob and...



Out came our friendly neighbourhood neighbour!!

His reason for clanging on the padlock: "Sorry, I was just checking up on you, people. Manalah tau you didn't know about the blackout. Anyway, what are neighbours for, kan?"

Me: That's all? Well, apparently someone missed a lesson or two about what it means to be a neighbour.

Rule No. 1: Never clang on your neighbour's padlock, especially late at night, which is why we install the door in the first place.

That's not all. When I stepped outside, the whole neighbourhood is dark. Some little midget apparently thought today was Hari Raya or something. He took a candle and lit a firecracker. Well, before you know it, other midgets starts to join in as well/


No comments: